The Places I’ve Been: Washington, DC Part 2

Our second day in DC took us to the Arlington National Cemetery. The weather that day could not make up its mind.  It was pouring down rain when we left, then got a little sunny, warm and muggy, only to rain again two minutes later. We browsed through a small Women in War exhibit, saw John F. Kennedy’s grave and the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. I liked the unknown soldier best. We got there just in time to see the changing of the guard. There were also some neat exhibits set up indoors. After browsing around the cemetery for awhile we left to go get some lunch.

We hopped on the Metro and took it to Chinatown where we thought there was a Subway, but we couldn’t find it.  We ended up having lunch at Five Guys.  It’s a burger joint that is only on the East Coast and it was delicious! The burgers were excellent and the fries were awesome!

After lunch we went to the Portrait Gallery. We stayed on the second floor mostly, looking at President portraits and American Art. After Jordan had seen the famous portraits of George Washington he wanted to see we went to the gift shop.  I’d been looking for a gift for my sister, who was house and cat sitting for us, but hadn’t been able to find anything.  For some reason this gift shop had about ten things I could have gotten for her, but everything was really expensive.

We took the Metro back, by a different route.  This one took us by the Pentagon.  We didn’t get out and look at it, but we went under it in the subway tunnels. We got our car from the Cemetery parking lot and drove to Georgetown where we hoped to find a coffee shop with free Wi/Fi.

We drove for a bit until we saw a place that said Espresso! all over it.  We parked a few blocks away and walked back to the “coffee shop.” We walked in and the place was totally deserted.  There was one person inside and she was the waitress.  She handed us menus, which said at the top that they had free Wi/Fi.

Once she came back I started to order a decaf latte, but they didn’t have decaf.  So I got milk.  Jordan got some ice cream and a regular coffee then asked if the Wi/Fi was working.  She looked at him like he was crazy person until he pointed to the little note at the top of the menu.  Then she shook her head and told us it wasn’t working.

So after we wasted some time and money there we left, still in search of a latte and Wi/Fi.  We came across a little coffee shop called Marvelous Market.  I ordered my decaf latte and Jordan set up the computer at a table.

The latte I got was the worst one I have ever had in my life.  There was no lovely foam, just huge bubbles. The milk was burned and the shots were over extracted.  I suppose living in Seattle has made me a coffee snob, but honestly it was the worst latte I’ve ever had.  Jordan drank most of it, I took a sip every now and hopeing it would get better.

We stayed at the coffeeshop for awhile before going in search of dinner.  We weren’t really hungry since Five Guys was so filling, but we ended up in a little bar in Georgetown.  We ordered some food and didn’t really stay long.  We got back to our car to head back home to plan out the last week of our trip.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s